Announcement!

I Have A Notion blog and store have moved to:


the store can be found at


There is a much easier to navigate store, with new items. The blog has its own page as well... new content too.

The blog is now at www.ihaveanotion.com/blog

Please come and visit!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Next Generation of Stitchers - And Help Needed

Rewind to Thanksgiving....our youngest daughter is here...and I was jumping for joy when I heard what she wanted for Christmas....a Sewing Machine!!!!!


Over Thanksgiving weekend Maddy asked could I help her make a Christmas Stocking for Abby, her significant others daughter.  My reply, "Well of course...when do you want to start?"

I did the big time Happy Dance :)


I've never made a stocking so we just decided to build it from the ground up.  We traced the shape of a stocking onto paper and started interviewing fabrics.  Maddy's initial idea was to make a crazy patch stocking, sort of traditional, with Abby's name across the top.  Much to her surprise, I introduced my new embroidery machine to her and the ideas didn't stop...LOL.

The stocking quickly went from traditional to wild and fun.  Here are a few photos of the process (not necessarily in order) :
After completing the ME design of her choice and embellishing it....we bagan interviewing fabric and trim combinations.....
 So very far from traditional.
When I told Maddy she could use anything she wanted and it could look like anything she could think of....well...traditional quickly went out the door.  She was absolutely thrilled when I told her that it was only a Christmas Stocking and if she doesn't like it when it's done...ya just make another one next year...no big deal!  Maddy was beaming....oh the freedom that gave her....Let the Fun Begin!!
 I think we went through every bin and drawer looking for fun combinations.  My advise to Maddy was...you'll know it when you see it and don't stop until you see it.  I also suggested we take photos of the different arrangements as the photos provide a different perspective somehow.

After going through all my fabrics I got frustrated and called Waldo and asked could we come over and search her stash.
Success!  Waldo had this plaid that Maddy loved and some cute hot pink trim too.  She was so excited to show off her first creation.
Maddy quilted the fabric and did all the sewing.  I operated the Embroidery Machine and she choose all the colors. 
 
And then she added some bling. 

I was tired and called it a night when Maddy ran back to the sewing machine and made her two children a little holiday bling:
Annie, Maddy's youngest "child" is now sporting a holiday collar sleeve.
Naturally, she couldn't leave out her son...LOL

Maddy was so excited and proud of herself.  What a joy it is to see the next generation embrace stitching :)

Oh yes...I almost forgot....the Flamingo's also celebrated Thanksgiving:

One more thing before I close- HELP NEEDED!  Our oldest daughter, Krista,  has sent me an e-mail requesting help with her Disertation.  She is working on her PHD and needs some folks to fill out a survey.  Here is her e-mail:

Could you forward this survey to some of your friends (and ask them to pass it on as well)?
I need married couples living with their spouse who have NOT had a head injury.....it would be even better if they were married to someone who has had a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury...including concussion) at some point in their lifetime....but not necessary as I need control subjects too. Realistically it takes about 15-20 minutes.

I need at least 20 more participants or I risk not being able to move on to internship!! eek!!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MarriageResearch


If you would take the time to fill out her survey....we would all greatly appreciate it!  Thanks to all of you who have already filled it out :)
 
Smiles,
Kelly

14 comments:

  1. You all did a great job with that. What a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddie did a great job. That stocking is so cute. Abbigail will love it.

    Glad the flamingos had a good Thanksgiving and have a tv to watch (football?).

    Off to take the survey.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stocking turned out so cute! It's great to pass our love & passion for sewing on to the next generation.

    Wow! there was a huge crowd at the Flamingos TG dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stocking is adorable. How fun it is when one of our own ASKS to sew. It hasn't happened at my house yet, but I love to see this craft being passed down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how exciting it is to be able to share your love of sewing with the younger generation. I have been thrilled to teach my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable stocking! I love that it isn't the traditional red & green - perfect for a modern young girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute stocking. I took the survey. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun stocking! Great job! Sounds like someone caught the fabric bug, hehe.

    Off to take the survey...

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful! I was thrilled recently when my daughter asked for one of my older sewing machines, even if she just uses it for hemming it's a start. I'll take the survey, would you like me to hit David over the head? just ask some days I'd be happy to do it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, I love that your daughter wants a sewing machine. It reminds me of my Kelly, when she was 35, asking me to teach her how to sew. Although, I had learned to sew at an early age and was making my own clothes by the time I was a teenager, neither of my girls had shown an interest. I love making stockings and this one is a beauty...better than the one that I did my first time. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I wish I could help. I had a concussion over thirty years ago, but not married anymore. I discovered your neighbor's cute flamingoes via Annie's postings with her adorable postcard (I was a lucky recipient of one too!) I ended up taking a photo of a field of various colored plastic flamingoes. I never knew they came in so many colors, but your neighbors are a hoot! I posted my photo on my blog westchestersbelle@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! That video and Dana's comment are absolutely hilarious. Thanks for the belly laugh today.

    You'll have to let us know which sewing machine you end up buying for her. (You know you will buy it for her.)

    How wonderful that your daughter wants a sewing machine for Christmas and has an interest in learning to sew. Her first projects turned out great!

    I love reading your posts. Your flamingo family is hilarious. You're a hoot!

    Thanks again for the laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You my friend are a crack up!!!!!

    Love the stocking!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about
    this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think
    that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a
    bit, but instead of that, this is magnificent blog.

    An excellent read. I will certainly be back.
    My webpage > Canada Goose

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading the IHAN Blog. I love getting and reading every comment that is left here; however I may not be able to respond to all comments left during giveaways. There are times when I am juggling many tasks at one time and may not reply to all comments. Please e-mail me at quiltnotions@gmail.com if you need a reply quickly. I thank you for your understanding and-
More Later-Beth

Translate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...