Announcement!

I Have A Notion blog and store have moved to:


the store can be found at


There is a much easier to navigate store, with new items. The blog has its own page as well... new content too.

The blog is now at www.ihaveanotion.com/blog

Please come and visit!

Thursday, June 21, 2012

hand sewing and Bead trends Magazine Review

I was fortunate enough to receive "Simply handmade sewing" and" Bead trends" from Northridge Publishing . 
 Robin Coin Purse by Rebecca Harkin 

You know I loved the change purse on the cover of "handmade sewing"....tell me it isn't way too much fun...see you can't do it can you!  LOL  These little magazines...literally smallish...8in x 8 in...are perfect for the modern sewists and others who are need to be enticed into fun sewing and beading projects.  

"handmade sewing" featured a linen zipper pouch by Jessie Keating .  Talk about serendipitous timing...I just published a tutorial on English Paper Pieced Hexagons. 
For all of you who were asking what else can be done with hexies....here is another very fetching zippered pouch.  The magazine has beautiful photos that coordinate with their written instructions.  Templates are also included. 
See how nice the photos are?  Each project featured in handmade sewing have photos like these and wonderful written instructions as well...oh and templates too!

There are lots of projects that re-purpose or up-cycle which is very enticing for me!  I'm all about re-using and re-purposing.  Some of the featured-fun includes hand embroidery, applique, and wool felt.  I think there is something that would appeal to all age groups in this great issue.

I also enjoyed reviewing "Bead trends."  Below is a photo of one of the projects that grabbed my attention.

 "Flight of Fancy Mixed Media Kaleidoscope" by Amanda Squire

Amanda used found items and a copper pipe to make this beautiful kaleidoscope.  I just love it...how fun!  You can see me sitting and looking through that can't you?  Yep....it is right up my alley.  I can see my boys carrying one in their pockets too....just in case they run across something fun to gaze at through the kaleidoscope.

This issue of "Bead trend" features many different styles of necklaces, earrings, bracelets and hair embellishments.  Each has written instructions next to the photo of the project.  The featured article is "Jewel School" which includes photos and instructions.  

These are the only two magazines I've looked at from Northridge Publishing but they carry so many more.  Weather you are into sewing, beading, scrapbooks, card making, or cooking....there is a magazine

Just for the record....I was not paid to write this review.  I did receive the magazines for free and I'll be giving them to one very lucky IHAN blog follower :)  Just leave a comment on this post telling me why these magazines appeal to you and you could be the lucky recipient.  I'll draw a random winner ....oh say...sometime this weekend.

If you would like to subscribe to any of the Northridge Magazines....I have it on good authority that if you mention this IHAN blog post you'll receive a 30% discount!    Just e-mail Debbie at debbie@northridgepublishing.com   I think that is very generous, don't you?

Smiles,
Kelly


12 comments:

  1. I've made a few of the frame coin purses but none as cute as on the cover of Handmade Sewing! I would love to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My! Isn't that the cutest Robin on that coin purse! Really cute hexie bag, too. My BFF makes jewelry and would love to check out the second magazine. Beads are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in serious LOVE with the coin purse. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute little purse. now I want to see you make one with all those hexies you cut out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the little coin purse. How cute it would be with beading on the front!!

    Dori (MLQG)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your insights on this magazine. I wasn't aware of it and I'm certainly happy to learn about it.

    The linen zipper pouch by Jessie Keating project looks fun. I'm curious if she used an applique technique with the EPP or has some great tip to merge the EPP with a solid piece of fabric. Certainly an area I've been wanting to learn more about. Love her results.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo...I just took a beading class and I do believe that beads could be just as addicting as fabric and yarn! AND that little hexie project is right up my ally...7 hexagons are about my limit! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool review! I'd enjoy either one of those. I have a couple of the hasps to make a small change purse. I purchased them months ago and haven't done anything with them yet. But I also love the idea of a homemade kaleidoscope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ohhh wow, I have never made one of these..do you have the kits, (handles) would this not make a clever blog hop?

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL @ Susan... Yes, beads are addicting! That coin purse is just precious... perhaps an embellished (and beaded) coin purse?

    Hahahahahaa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute coin purse!!! I have see this publisher's card making magazine and it is gorgeous! These would be great to add to my magazine stash!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always on the lookout for trying something new and these two magazines look like they have projects I've not tried before. They look fun.....Joan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading the IHAN Blog. I love getting and reading every comment that is left here; however I may not be able to respond to all comments left during giveaways. There are times when I am juggling many tasks at one time and may not reply to all comments. Please e-mail me at quiltnotions@gmail.com if you need a reply quickly. I thank you for your understanding and-
More Later-Beth

Translate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...